lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Less drastic ways
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:57:00 GMT

On Mar 14, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hey Grant,
>
>> Also, I really don't see what is so drastic about the proposal.  All we're
>> doing is making it easier for code to be put in the right place.  We're not
>> having Lucene consumed by Solr nor vice versa.  As you've seen by the Board's
>> indication, they only view that there should be a single Lucene project.  One
>> committership, one project.
>
> Along those lines, rather than just give the solr-devs karma to lucene and
> vice versa with the lucene-devs, might it make sense to start discussing
> giving all PMC members and all committers on sub projects (perhaps modulo
> Tika and modulo Mahout since they are on the way into TLP-ville it seems)
> karma to a single Lucene code base that we are now moving towards?
>
> This might make sense since folks who've earned committer rights know what
> to touch and what not to, and also it might pool together resources of
> people that all are contributing towards the overall Lucene TLP.

Yeah, I agree this would be a good thing and would make sense in the near future.  I think
we should iron out the TLP stuff first and we should let Nutch discuss what it's plans for
modularization are.  But yeah, I'm definitely open to discussing it.

I think we sometimes also forget about the fact that we can always SVN revert things, too,
if someone makes a commit that doesn't work out.

-Grant