lucene-general mailing list archives

From "tavi.nathanson" <tavi.nathan...@gmail.com>
Subject Boosting on *unique* term matches without using MUST
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 03:03:24 GMT

Hey everyone,

Let me start with an example query: [apple orange banana]

I would like to heavily boost documents containing a greater number of
unique query terms (apple, orange, banana), without MUST'ing the terms; in
other words, a document containing just 2 unique terms (apple, banana)
should have a higher score than a document containing 10 or 20 of the same
term (10 apple's). I'm using SHOULD right now, and TF is defeating me;
documents containing a ton of the *same* term are overpowering documents
with a few unique terms.

Is there a standard way to accomplish what I'm looking for? I can think of
several hacks, but I don't really like them:
- I can do a union of query with MUST and a query with SHOULD, and boost the
MUST part, but that doesn't help me with a document that contains apple and
banana (but not orange).
- Perhaps I could lower the impact of TF (although I'm not sure what the
best way of doing this would be).

Thanks so much!