lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AC 2010 Draft Blurb
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:38:49 GMT
Hoss, I think you are right.  We can send them both blurbs, that way they have them.  I notice
Sally has put out a Biz. Track CFP already.   I'll submit both (with the edits)

-Grant

On Mar 23, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : Riffing off of last years...  Could use a little more meat, IMO, but I don't think
my brain is on yet.

> I got the sense from Norin's email that what they're really looking for at
> this time is a "vision" statement of what we intend/expect the Lucene
> track to be like.  This feels like a good marketing blub to entice/impress
> perspective attendees, whereas i think what would be ideal for now is a
> blurb intended to entice/impress the confrence organizers.
>
> Perhaps we should focus more on the type of info in your second paragraph
> -- stressing the type of track we hope to have, and the expected audience
> (and audience sizes) ?
>
> Off the cuff here...
>
> ---
> Based on size of hte LUcene community, and the success of the Lucene track
> at previous confrences, we believes there is sufficient intrest in a
> two-day track of sessions focusing on the broader Lucene Ecosystem
> (Solr, Nutch, Tika, Mahout, Lucene-Java, and Lucene ports to other
> langauges) ...
>
> * Day #1: Focusing on introductory material for beginer and
>   novice users of Lucene products.  These types of talks have
>   routinely been "standing room only" at previous confrences.
>   (In rooms with 100+ chairs)
>   - High level introduction to the Lucene Ecosystem
>   - Deep dives and demonstrations of the features of various
>     Lucene (and related) products: Lucene-Java, Solr, Nutch, Tika,
>     (and Mahout?)
>
> * Day #2: Focusing on more detailed topics, that will appeal to more
>   experienced Users.  While these types of talks generally attract
>   smaller more niche audiences then the introductory talks, they
>   generally still well attented.
>   - In depth case studies of using one or more Lucene products
>   - Discussions of advanced techniques for utilizing Lucene
>     products to solve novel problems
>   - emonstrations of lesser known features
>

> -Hoss

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search