lucene-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Composing posts for both JIRA and email (was a JIRA post)
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:09:19 GMT
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:36:41AM -0500, Michael McCandless wrote:
> I don't get why Jira can't support email markup (>, >> means nested
> levels of quoting) in addition to its own...

With text color corresponding to indent level?  That would be ideal.  However,
email quoting used within JIRA is still coherent, while JIRA quoting within
email is crap.

People probably think I'm quaint for not using the latest hotness in JIRA
markup, but so long as my communiques are easily consumed, I don't care.

> It's All Text plugin sounds neat -- what does it gain over simple copy/paste
> out of your editor?

It's easier to launch the editor -- you click a floating button to the lower
right of the textarea.  Then, when you save the document (which is a temp
file) and subsequently refocus on the browser application, the textarea
flashes yellow and the text from the latest save is automatically inserted.

I guess that doesn't sound like too much, but avoiding a few tedious actions
on something I do a lot makes a difference for me.

What would be really great is if you could edit iteravely using the text
editor while using the JIRA preview.  Unfortunately, there's a problem with
the interaction of those two features -- once you click the JIRA preview, the
It'sAllText editor can no longer update the textarea, even after you disable
the preview.

> I can't stand that gmail doesn't do the right thing w/ line wrapping
> outgoing email, though -- when I quote a message (like below), the
> addition of the >'s causes already wrapped text to be further wrapped,
> thus looking hideous (you should see examples below).

I don't see any such examples.  :)  Perhaps that's because I limit my lines to
78 characters and gmail wraps at 80?

I rewrap people's quotes, too, to keep them at 78 characters or less.  But I'm
a former graphic designer, so making decisions about type presentation and
adapting my workflow as needed is second nature and quick.

Marvin Humphrey