lucene-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:58:31 GMT
On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:44:02PM -0500, Michael McCandless wrote:

> But it goes beyond analyzers: I'd like to see other modules, now in
> Solr, eventually moved to Lucene, because they really are "core"
> functionality (eg facets, function (and other?) queries, spatial,
> maybe improvements to spellchecker/highlighter).

I disagree.  Those don't belong in core, and though they are all great
features, adding them to core constitutes "bloat", IMO.

The Query class belongs in core.  All those other modules should be
distributed as plugins, which could be used by Solr, Katta, Lucene, whatever.

Note that this is orthogonal to whether Solr and Lucene merge or diverge.

Marvin Humphrey