lucene-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:32:37 GMT
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 05:57:05AM -0500, Michael McCandless wrote:
> Robert's massive patch on SOLR-1657, upgrading most Solr's analyzers
> to 3.0, is aging... while other changes to analyzers are being
> proposed (SOLR-1799).  If we were integrated (or at least single
> source for analyzers), Robert would already have committed it.

Is Analyzer's interface mature and stable enough to break out?  Massive
patches which can't be applied easily... that doesn't seem like a good sign.

On the other hand, if Analyzers are installed independently, they can have
their own version, which could advance independently of Lucene.  The need for
matchVersion would go away in the context of analysis, to be replaced by
a traditional versioning system which I think users would find easier to
grok.

Marvin Humphrey