lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge the development of Solr/Lucene (take 2)
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:50:37 GMT

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : Subject: [VOTE] Merge the development of Solr/Lucene (take 2)
> :
> : A new vote, that slightly changes proposal from last vote (adding only
> : that Lucene can cut a release even if Solr doesn't):
>
> -1
>
> I still don't like that we're voting on a "Goal"

I don't quite understand what you mean here.  As I read it, the proposal from Michael is pretty
specific on details.

> I still think that we should approach something like this iteratively and
> incrementally -- preferably starting with some basic refactoring/merging
> of specific components/modules (akin to McCandless'ss original suggestion)
> and adjusting committers/mailinglists/build-processes however it makes
> sense as we go along.

I just don't see how specific components will work.  Say we spin out analyzers but Solr doesn't
move up to 3.0.x immediately.  What incentive is there for a Solr committer to work on a new
Analyzer in the Analyzers project as opposed to Solr?

-Grant