lucene-general mailing list archives

From "patrick o'leary" <pj...@pjaol.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 03:36:22 GMT
I do appreciate you reaching out to me, but I think this needs to be an open
response.

Folks, have used the terms *bullied*, *rail-road*, and *pushed* to describe
this vote, folks that aren't even me.

I look at development that's occurring in solr and I am concerned, I don't
feel that it's serving the community.

I've seen comments on threads of (paraphrasing) person X,Y,Z voted and are
committers  and they are the guys who do the work, so that's all that
matters....
Well no, the community contributes code, ideas / concepts, but
the committers seem to sit on these ideas, unless it meets a feature they
want. I can bring several examples to display this, and not just localsolr.

If you want a concrete example take Field Collapsing

That's been around 3 years now, has 61 votes and 72 watchers, yet it's been
sat on... the community has delivered, but committers have refused to heed
them...
It's it complete?
I feel it's more complete that all the function query work that was
committed to Solr trunk for spatial solr...
It's clearly shown there's two sets of rules for this, as a committer you
can do as you please, as a community member you've got to hope that there is
a committer who needs what you've done or asked for, and agrees with the way
you've implemented it..

That's where I feel there is a lack of diversity in concepts, direction and
design within solr.

And as such I would hate to see the same thing happen to lucene.

Granted we all work for a living, we can't always work on projects or ideas
others bring to the table. I write code maybe once a month these days, and
often can't keep up with the requests that come into the open source stuff I
support. But I've always allowed others to contribute and extend, if it
compiles, works, and doesn't mess things up, I always feel that if it's
important enough, then iteration will make it better if it needs to be
better. And I've been lucky that several folks on the locallucene world have
rolled up their selves and helped out.

I respect, and appreciate folks for taking any hemorrhage of concepts and
making them better, and that's how see open source working.

Apache provides hosting, and legal protection for people who develop
community driven projects, but not projects that are restricted to the ideas
of those that have commit karma.

As for this vote, I will allow our proximity to St. Patricks day to tone
down my description of it, by describing it as shenanigans !

Patrick O'Leary