lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: AC NA 2010 - Lucene
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:39:06 GMT

On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Noirin Shirley wrote:

> Grant, Lucene,
> Thanks for stepping up!
> To answer your first question, we're pretty limited in terms of the
> number of track-days in Atlanta - if you have a proposal you think is
> really stellar and going to draw crowds, we'd love to see what you're
> thinking of, whether it's one day or more. But until we see what other
> proposals are on the table, we can't really promise anything in terms
> of how much space you'll get.

Sure, I understand.  We had no problem filling the rooms for 2 days in Oakland, so I would
expect likewise for Atlanta.

> In answer to your second question, we're not currently looking for
> submissions for individual talks. It sounds like Mahout might not have
> enough for its own program, but we're encouraging PMCs in that
> situation to talk to other, related PMCs, and to come up with a joint
> proposal. So if Lucene are looking for more than one day, perhaps you
> could make sure Mahout are included in your submission -
> alternatively, perhaps it would make sense to make two proposals, one
> for "Lucene core" and one for "Lucene subprojects"? You guys are
> closer to the coalface, so we're leaving it up to your judgement as to
> what makes most sense. Ultimately, we're looking for strong tracks,
> and that doesn't always split neatly along PMC/TLP lines.

Sure, Mahout will likely only have 1 or 2 talks whereas Lucene usually has more submissions
than slots.

> Whatever you decide, it would be great if you could send us a small
> (c. 200 words) proposal/vision/outline for what you expect the track
> to include. We're looking for something that will make us go "ooh!",
> and convince the planners that there will be 100 people willing to
> come to see your track :-)

When do you need this by?  We can have something to you by this weekend.

> If Mahout want to do something themselves,
> they can of course do the same - they don't have to wait til the board
> passes the resolution! If they're included in your proposal, that's
> fine though.

OK, will do.
View raw message