lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PyLucene lucene.JavaError: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 03:21:32 GMT

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, jmariette wrote:

> I'm trying to index multiple files using PyLucene. The index is working
> pretty well,
> so does the optimization but when I try to requet it, I get the following
> error :
>   lucene.JavaError: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

You may need to give your VM more memory when calling initVM().
See: http://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/jcc/documentation/readme.html#api

> I have several files to index, and in this files I have several cards to
> So I iter throught all of the files and I do a "doc.add" for each cards I
> want
> to index. What leads to the creation of 1 unique index files.
>
> Considering, I don't catch this error with smaller files, I was thinking
> that
> there is a way to have a smaller files as result ? Maybe multiple index
> files,
> which would all be considered when requesting the index ?

That is a question better asked on the Lucene Java list,
java-user@lucene.apache.org. The size of your index depends on a lot of
things, in particular what you store in it (as opposed to just index).

Andi..