lucene-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:09:15 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> I think, in order to stop duplicating our analysis code across
> Nutch/Solr/Lucene, we should separate out the analyzers into a
> standalone package, and maybe as its own sub-project under the Lucene
> tlp?

Is the goal to release these on a separate schedule from Lucene Java?
If so, then this makes sense, if not, then perhaps this could be simply
a separate source code tree in Lucene Java built as separate jars.

Where would the analyzer APIs live, in the core or in the analyzer tree?
  My guess is that they'd live in the core, and that the analyzer tree
would depend on the core, but one might do it the other way around if
one felt there were non-Lucene uses for analyzers.

Note that subprojects with different committer lists are an anti-pattern
at Apache.  We've long done this in Lucene, but have recently been asked
by the board to consider breaking most subprojects into their own TLPs.
  Would analyzers someday make sense as an indepdendent TLP?  If not,
then a subproject with disjoint committers might not be the right pattern.

Doug