lucene-general mailing list archives

From Jason Rutherglen <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:57:09 GMT
Interesting... Yes I've noticed some people seem to have a lot
of pride in listing themselves as PMC members, but then from the
looks of things, I can't help but wonder what they're doing.
Perhaps there's something going on behind the scenes, though to
be honest it isn't clear what. Perhaps some visibility would be
good, or is the lack of it intentional? Either that or I'm just
missing what's going on, and there's a blog, wiki, or web page
out there describing the activities in detail. I think the
Lucene projects are great, and if it aint broke don't fix it.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:
>
>> Somewhat interesting... Also I guess there's no term limits...
>
> Earned merit doesn't go away at the ASF.  That being said, if someone doesn't participate
for over a year, we usually ask them to go Emeritus, but that's not a big deal.

>> Is this
>> modeled after anything or has it kind of arbitrarily grown this way?
>
> Some of it's in the ASF by-laws, some of it just in how the project chooses to organize
itself.  For instance, some ASF projects rotate the chair every year, others do not.  Lucene
hasn't rotated but that's probably b/c the Lucene PMC is pretty low-key and low-maintanence
anyway.