lucene-general mailing list archives

From Almas1997 <amask...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving relevance by document date
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:56:38 GMT

Hi all,

I have the following problem. My lucene index contains documents with fields
Text and CreatedDate.
I'd like to have document search results sorted by relevance but also wants
to show newest documents first within reasonable limits.

I can create sorting by relevance and then by date, but this approach
provide too rough results, because even the oldest documents with higher
rank will come first. I'd like to have more elegant solution.

It seems that i should include document date to scoring formula to get more
rank to the newer documents. Probably I can set document boost based on
date, so newest documents will have bigger boost value. But i'm not sure is
this variant correct.

Maybe someone can suggest more correct approach?