lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene PMC += Mark Miller
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:37:52 GMT

On Jan 15, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> Well, the biggest perk is that I can finally get a Hudson account, in
> what may be the weirdest Apache rule I have come across.

C'mon, the biggest perk is the super secret ASF decoder ring with special Lucene protocol.
 Should be arriving any day now.

> The main other stuff: the PMC votes in new committers and their votes
> are binding for releases.

It's ultimately the PMC who is responsible for the functioning of the Lucene project (which
implies all of the subprojects) and the PMC reports to the board.  They pretty much run themselves,
but every now and then we deal with making sure a project is running smoothly.  We also try
to make sure the PMC has representation from all the projects (usually at least 3 from each).

Individually speaking, It's also the next level of merit/recognition for long term committers.

> You can read about the PMC here: http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

Especially the FAQ

> Jason Rutherglen wrote:
>> Congrats Mark!  Umm... Though what's the difference between PMC and
>> what Mark was?  What do the PMC people do?  Are their term limits?
>> (Just curious, seems like most people understand what's going on).
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm pleased to announce the Lucene PMC has elected to add Mark Miller to its
ranks in recognition of his longstanding contributions to the Lucene community as a committer
on both Lucene Java and Solr.