lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <>
Subject Re: Get all document ids from a search.
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:09:19 GMT
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Niclas Rothman <> wrote:

> How can I get from a search all document ids?
> Can this be done with ok performance?

They should be in the documents.  If you have lots of them, no, you won't be
able to get them all with decent performance.

> I have been wondering if could do the sorting in lucene but I don't feel
> comfortable at all because of lacking information / documentation.
> Also, the sorting should preferable be don Just in time, that is, the
> underlying data for sorting changes constantly and I cant reindex as soon as
> sorting data changes.

You have a problem.  You might be able to use real-time updates in Lucene to
get something close to what you want. But it is probably better to
re-examine the requirements.

Any idea / suggestions?

Can you bend some of the requirements?  Is it really necessary to sort on
things that are really changing all the time?

Do you have a relatively small number of objects in your result sets?  How
long would it take to retrieve the sorting info from a few hundred or even a
few thousand items?