lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:21:27 GMT

> But is that really worth breaking all the existing references to
> this? What
> value is that for the users?

Just to clarify... your concern is two fold:
1. No term is perfect, Cartesian Tier is as good as any, lets stick
with it.
2. There are already references to cartesian tiers (like this
thread :), lets stick with it.

The counter arguments are:
1. 'Tile' or 'Grid' immediately make more sense to the uninitiated
2. If we are going to pick a term, now is the time.

The difference in opinion (as far as I can tell) is that everyone
except Patrick is looking at this as a new API, not as an existing
one.  The spatial bits of lucene/solr, it is now quite different then
localsolr, as such, i'm not sure concern about breaking references
makes much sense.

ryan