lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:31:14 GMT
As some of you may know, I've been working pretty heavily on spatial stuff lately.  One of
the things that has bothered me for a while is the use of the terminology: cartesian tiers.
 The thing is, I can't find any reference to such a thing in any place other than Local Lucene
and Patrick's white paper on it.  Most GIS systems seem to either talk about grids or tiles
when describing this capability.

Do you think it is worth a name change?  This is about to get baked into Solr and I would
really prefer we choose names that the rest of the world seems to understand.

Thanks,
Grant