lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:28:20 GMT
It's great that there's such a sudden burst of energy to improve
spatial in both Solr and Lucene!

Isn't this concept the same as "trie" (for Lucene's numeric fields),
but in 2D not 1D?

If so, I think "tiles" doesn't convey that they recursively
subdivide.

Also: why does this notion even need naming so badly?  Why does this
concept "leak" out of the abstraction?  Shouldn't this (cartesian
tier, cartesian tier plotter) all be "under the hood"?  I make a
SpatialField, I index it, I can then make SpatialShapeQuery, a
SpatialDistanceSort, etc.?

Ie, "trie" is known within Lucene, but doesn't leak out -- the outside
world knows it as "Numeric*".  Trie is an implementation detail,
inside Lucene.

(NOTE: I only know just enough about spatial to be dangerous...)

Mike