lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:16:10 GMT

On Dec 28, 2009, at 3:51 PM, patrick o'leary wrote:

> So Grant here's the deal behind the name.
> Cartesian because it's a simple x.y coordinate system
> Tier because there are multiple tiers, levels of resolution.
>
> If you look at it closer:
> - To programmers there's a quadtree implementation
> - To web users who use maps these are grids / tiles.
> - To GIS experts this is a form of multi-resolution raster-ing.
> - To astrophysicists these are tiers.
> - To the MS folks I've talked to they have quad something or other.
> - To math folks Cartesian levels makes sense.
>
> Can't make all the people happy all the time,

Right, but as far as I can tell (and I've only done, say an hour of research), I can't find
anyone who calls them Cartesian Tiers other than us.

Personally, I think web users are the largest group (after all, aren't we all web users?)
out there and therefore will be the most familiar with either grid or tile.  FWIW, I have
tentatively called the Solr FieldType to support this "SpatialTileField" as in it represents
a tile in the spatial sense.  I'd be fine with SpatialGridField as well (GridField seems a
bit too generic).