lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:49:24 GMT
I like "tile" best -- this has a direct mapping to common map caching
systems (google/bing/tms/WorldWind)

'Grid' is also good.  In OpenLayers, 'grid' is the parent, and tile
based variations extend 'grid'.

"Tier" is interesting since it implies various levels, but i think
using a more common term is better for a wider audience.

"Cartesian"?  The common tiling schemes are all cartesian (planar),
however i think much of the same mechanics can be used to to tile
spherical space.  Consider something like: HEALPix  http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/

Uwe mentioned "Quad Tree or Trie" -- the big difference I see is that
tiles or grids have sizes that are defined independent of the data.
Quadtree, RTree, etc typically resize themselves as data is added.

I like "Tile", "TilePlotter", "FindBestTile", etc best.  Grid also
works, but seems to refer to the whole system rather then the cell.

ryan