lucene-general mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:30:30 GMT
patrick o'leary wrote:

> CartesianTier's adequately describes what the design does- Layer one
> cartesian coordinate system on top of another....

So, you all agree that it is Cartesian and that it evokes the idea of
layers, but it's not a grid and it's not tiles; the original author is
very attached to the name of "tiers", but most others seem to think that
it does not really roll of the tongue easily nor is it very commercial.
It may also be somewhat confusing :

Wikipedia :
Tiers, also known as Ultra Checkers, is a complex variant of checkers
that allows players to upgrade their pieces beyond kings. It is played
on a standard eight by eight checkers board with two opposing players.
The game has gained popularity amongst many northeastern collegiate
students in the US.

Given this, how about CartesianBranes ?

Wikipedia again :
In theoretical physics, a membrane, brane, or p-brane is a spatially
extended mathematical concept that appears in string theory and its
relatives (M-theory and brane cosmology) that exists in a static number
of dimensions.

I find that it rolls better off the tongue, it has a connotation with
layers and a mysterious but highly intellectual flavor, it is not
limited in its number of dimensions, it extends over time as well as
space and should please physicists and mathematicians alike.
And the occasional but unavoidable misspellings by future users and
forum contributors should provide much enjoyment for years to come.