lucene-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Rothman <n...@lechill.com>
Subject RE: Get all document ids from a search.
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:42:08 GMT
Hi there and many thanks for your reply, really appreciated.

Yes, the solution is a little bit far out but unfortunately I can't really change the requirements.
The thing is that the customer requires the search results to be ordered by its conversion
rate, a number telling how good these objects
Are performing from a sales perspective. I started out to have everything in the database
but soon I realized that it
Is quite naïve to think that I could write something just in the near of Lucene, so I have
ended with a solution were data resides in two different places, Lucene and in the database...
The result set I expect from various queries will be at top 200 objects which for me which
are new to Lucene having hard to validate if it is many or few, I guess this is a very little
result set, correct?
Is there any way in Lucene to write something similar to an IComparer interface, where I could
write my custom sorting rules?

Regards
Niclas

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Dunning [mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com]
Sent: 15 December 2009 00:09
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Get all document ids from a search.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Niclas Rothman <niro@lechill.com> wrote:

> How can I get from a search all document ids?
> Can this be done with ok performance?

They should be in the documents.  If you have lots of them, no, you won't be
able to get them all with decent performance.

> I have been wondering if could do the sorting in lucene but I don't feel
> comfortable at all because of lacking information / documentation.
> Also, the sorting should preferable be don Just in time, that is, the
> underlying data for sorting changes constantly and I cant reindex as soon as
> sorting data changes.

You have a problem.  You might be able to use real-time updates in Lucene to
get something close to what you want. But it is probably better to
re-examine the requirements.

Any idea / suggestions?

Can you bend some of the requirements?  Is it really necessary to sort on
things that are really changing all the time?

Do you have a relatively small number of objects in your result sets?  How
long would it take to retrieve the sorting info from a few hundred or even a
few thousand items?