lucene-general mailing list archives

From "patrick o'leary" <pj...@pjaol.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:27:02 GMT

> My only issue is that I can't find a single reference to that phrase
> outside of Local Lucene whereas I can find lots of references to the concept
> under names like: map tiles, map grids, spatial tiles, or just plain
> tiles/grids.

That doesn't mean cartesian tiers isn't a better description and that if
> Lucene was the first to implement such a thing we wouldn't even be having
> this conversation

Then perhaps spatial-lucene isn't the product for you? That is always an
option

> But the fact is, we're not the first and it appears to me like the majority
> of people out their use grid/tiles to describe this concept, for better or
> worse.

Depends the one product that I feel has always been a truer GIS solution is
postGIS  (And to me this is where most GIS folks do their work)
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.4/ch04.html

There's not a grid or tile in it- And it is by far the best thing out there.

Again my point is, that misnaming just to gather attention is the wrong
thing to do !