lucene-general mailing list archives

From "patrick o'leary" <pj...@pjaol.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Cartesian "Tiers" nomenclature
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:51:11 GMT
So Grant here's the deal behind the name.
Cartesian because it's a simple x.y coordinate system
Tier because there are multiple tiers, levels of resolution.

If you look at it closer:
- To programmers there's a quadtree implementation
- To web users who use maps these are grids / tiles.
- To GIS experts this is a form of multi-resolution raster-ing.
- To astrophysicists these are tiers.
- To the MS folks I've talked to they have quad something or other.
- To math folks Cartesian levels makes sense.

Can't make all the people happy all the time,

Some folks view tiers/tiles as the mind killer, ahh I could quote Dune all
day, but anyway's I digress.
"r-trees" are the way forward, nope Hilbert curves are the way, then someday
I expect someone
to come along with the biometric butt print of sputnik as the ultimate way
to map something.
None of which, including CartesianTiers are a full solution, but all
represent a solution to something that's GIS in nature.

Web-ers think in the concept of google maps/zoom levels, chuck a mercator
projector in there and you have google maps.
I have a TMS, Google, and MS projector all which can fit into this stuff,
but I also have more that aren't web map service projectors.

I won't give you a vote as obviously I'm bias.
semantic naming for standardization is something I do agree with, but I
don't feel there is a good standard out there yet.
If we pick something that's OGC in nature and makes sense then you have my
support
But if it's just a google / MS bunch of blogs then I don't think it's worth
while.