lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 2.9.1-1
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:49:31 GMT

On Nov 7, 2009, at 2:44, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> Signature & md5 check out.  I got everything working and ran my usual
> basic "index & search first 100K docs from wikipedia" smoke test
> just fine.
>
> But a couple questions/issues:
>
> * Is it expected that jcc_ver = '2.4.1' in jcc/setup.py?  (Are/were
>  we trying to track Lucene's versioning, here?

No, it's just coincidental. I expect JCC to be at version 2.5 with
Lucene 3.0, for example. As I fixed a few bugs in JCC 2.4 in this
release, it became 2.4.1.

> I wouldn't think
>  so, in general, but since that looks like a Lucene version, I'm
>  asking...)
>
> * From Makefile, it looks like you're exporting HEAD of Lucene's 2.9
>  branch (instead of the 2.9.1 tag).  Is that intended?

I'm pretty sure I switched to the 2_9_1 tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/branches/pylucene_2_9/Makefile

> Also, the
>  tar file has Lucene's sources (but in prior releases, I think, you
>  let "svn export" retrieve them for me).

Yes, that's simplifies things in two ways and addresses a user request:
1. A subversion client is no longer needed to install PyLucene (not
there by default on Windows or Solaris, for example)
2. By obtaining the Lucene sources along with PyLucene's via a
download mirror, the svn server is getting some welcome relief.

You can still get the Lucene sources via the usual svn export by
removing the lucene-java-2.9.1 directory first.

> * I'm using Python 2.6.4 (32 bit), which I downloaded from
>  python.org and installed myself.
>
>  I hit this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> python2.6/runpy.py",
> line 122, in _run_module_as_main
>  "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
> File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> python2.6/runpy.py",
> line 34, in _run_code
>  exec code in run_globals
> File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> python2.6/site-packages/jcc/__main__.py",
> line 88, in <module>
>  cpp.jcc(sys.argv)
> File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> python2.6/site-packages/jcc/cpp.py",
> line 519, in jcc
>  shared, compiler, modules, wininst, arch)
> File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
> python2.6/site-packages/jcc/python.py",
> line 1289, in compile
>  raise ImportError, 'setuptools is required when using --shared'
> ImportError: setuptools is required when using --shared

Yes, setuptools is not distributed with python. If you want to use it
you must install it first. Shared mode depends on it so either you
install setuptools or you don't use --shared

>  Removing --shared from Makefile seems to have worked around it.
>  I'm assuming this is something silly about my env!

You can get setuptools from http://python.org/pypi, aka the
cheeseshop :)

Andi..