lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solution for unwanted ngrams
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:00:47 GMT
This sort of fine distinction probably requires user feed back.  If the
idioms are highly distinctive, then a learning system that is highly
resistant to over-fitting could be used to learn a query that includes
phrasal components like "not for sale" and such.

If you have to find more flexible phrases that are based on synonymic
substitutions, then you should look at techniques like random indexing or
LSA or LDA so that you can express the phrases you extract from training
documents in terms of more general semantic components.  Sparse random
indexing is probably the easiest to apply to a term based retrieval system
such as Lucene.

Here is one effective learning system:
http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P/P08/P08-2059.pdf
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~mdredze/publications/icml_variance.pdf

To summarize, what I would recommend is something like this:

step 0: create a Lucene index with positional and, optionally, semantic
information such as from sparse random indexing
step 1: take user input to retrieve a sample set of documents
step 2: let the user judge some of these documents as relevant or not
step 3: extract possible features such as terms, phrases, semantic phrases
and so on from the sample documents
step 4: run the learning algorithm on the judged documents
step 5: report starting at 1, but now with an augmented query that includes
a post-scoring phase

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:29 AM, poeta simbolista <poetasimbolista@gmail.com