lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:25:33 GMT

: > * The meetup schedule seems pretty heavy with four 30 min
: > presentations. I'd either squeeze them to 15 minutes each or split
: > them to two parallel tracks (we can get two smaller rooms for the
: > meetup) to leave more time for lightning talks and general discussion.
:
: 15-20 minutes is fine, I was just following a model that has worked for other
: Lucene meetups, but I guess those were capped around 20 minutes.  Since the
: topics are a bit more involved, I wanted to make sure the speakers had time.
:
: -1 on parallel tracks.

parallel talks doesn't seem like a bad idea to me ... especially if
there are enough rooms available.  it's also the kind of thing that could
be played by ear ... if fewer people come then we expect, we can all stay
in one room, keep the talks short and more casual; if twice as many people
come as we expect and the room is really crowded, we can split up and half
of us can go "next door", the talks can be a little longer (more time for
questions/discussion) and then we have more room for smll discussions to
form during the "socializing" part of the evening.

: > I've reserved meetup space for us for Tuesday evening. Based on ACEU I
: > gave a rough estimate of up to a hundred people attending.
:
: That's likely about right.  Anything more and it takes away from the setting,
: I think.

Grant: what was the number of people who signed up for the SF Meetup Lucid
sponsored a few months ago?  I would guess at least twice as many people
will come to this one (you've got all of the Local hardcore Solr/Lucene
people, plus all the people flying in for ApacheCon, plus all the Local
people who aren't that hardcore but figure they might as well check it out
since so many people are in from out of town for ApacheCon)

-Hoss