lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:50:57 GMT

On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:13 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jukka
> Zitting<jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Grant
>> Ingersoll<gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Here is a _proposed_ schedule for ACUS '09.
>>
>> Looks good on a quick glance.
>
> I'm +1 to going with the schedule as proposed.
>
> Some minor tweaks:
>
> * Some of the session titles are a bit long, making it hard to grasp
> the topic on a quick glance. Ideally all the titles would be seven
> words max. We can push more detailed descriptions to the talk summary.

+1

> * The meetup schedule seems pretty heavy with four 30 min
> presentations. I'd either squeeze them to 15 minutes each or split
> them to two parallel tracks (we can get two smaller rooms for the
> meetup) to leave more time for lightning talks and general discussion.

15-20 minutes is fine, I was just following a model that has worked
for other Lucene meetups, but I guess those were capped around 20
minutes.  Since the topics are a bit more involved, I wanted to make
sure the speakers had time.

-1 on parallel tracks.

Would be good to get some food involved, too.

>>> The Meetup is free and is at night (likely Tuesday) and has always
>>> been well attended.
>>
>> We'll want to reserve the space for the meetup soon, as there's
>> only a
>> limited number of rooms available per evening. I'll ping the
>> conference planners about this.
>
> I've reserved meetup space for us for Tuesday evening. Based on ACEU I
> gave a rough estimate of up to a hundred people attending.

That's likely about right.  Anything more and it takes away from the
setting, I think.