lucene-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon Speakers
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:12:40 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Grant Ingersoll<gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> We need to decide on speakers, which means we need to decide on how to
> decide on speakers.  I'll try to put up a proposal sometime in the next few
> days, but others are welcome.

Here are some ideas that have been proposed or used elsewhere:

    * Discuss (in private or public) until a consensus is reached
    * Set up a small committee (1-3 persons) to do the selection
    * Use some voting system to select the most popular talks

Before we decide on the actual speakers it would be useful to come up
with a rough idea of how we want to allocate the two days we have to
various topics and whether we want to fill everything with traditional
talks or perhaps sprinkle workshops or other kinds of content in
between.

I would propose that we reserve the first presentation slot for an
overview of Lucene and short (2-5 minutes, one slide) introductions of
all the subprojects.

Beyond that I'd focus Lucene Java talks on one day and Solr talks on
the other, and sprinkle the other topics in between there.

If scheduling gets tight, we could even combine the two slots at 16-18
into a mini "Fast Feather Talk" session where we could do a series of
short 15 minute presentations of various things that wouldn't
necessarily fit in the normal schedule.

PS. I added the track schedule template to
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneAtApacheConUs2009.

BR,

Jukka Zitting