lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:13:27 GMT
Here is a _proposed_ schedule for ACUS '09.  I am putting this up
there b/c it needs to get done by next Monday and to invite comments
on something concrete.  Please feel free to modify, this is just _a_
suggestion based on what is on the Wiki.  It tends to follow the
standard 50 minute format b/c that seems to be what most of the
proposed talks suggested.  If you think two talks could be combined or
otherwise scheduled, please make suggestions.  I put mostly intro
talks on the first day.  For better or worse, the talks are weighted
towards Lucene and Solr, as those two projects have the most mailing
list traffic, etc. and I feel that is where most interest is going to
be.   I tried to get a mix of speakers based on those who have
volunteered and those who put in a CFP proposal.  I'd like to have a
"business" talk, but don't see where to fit it.  Also, some talks I
featured in the Meetup.  The Meetup is free and is at night (likely
Tuesday) and has always been well attended.

I'd also add that I don't think we should have any new talk proposals,
as people have had plenty of time to put up proposals.

If you truly can't make your time slot b/c you are only coming for one
day but can do a different time slot, let us know.   Otherwise, please
recognize that it is impossible to schedule everyone for 10 AM on the
first day.

I can tell already that next year we likely could do three days.

I'd also somehow like to work in a "job fair" component.  In this
economy, leads for people are always good.  Moreover, I know a lot of
companies are looking for Lucene/Solr talent, despite the economy.
Maybe just a bulletin board where people can post or a designated spot
during breaks for people to meetup and have a networking opportunity.
Thoughts?  Is this worth formalizing?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_IMPORTANT_:  AC is no longer paying for air travel, except in the
case of financial need.  So, if that means you cannot attend, please
let us know ASAP.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneAtApacheConUs2009 for
more details on the talks

I'm going to suggest a hard deadline of Friday, July 17th to get this
ironed out.

Proposed Schedule:

Day 1: (Thursday, I believe)
  09:00 - 10:00 REGISTRATION

10:00 - 10:50 Session 1:  Intro to the Lucene Ecosystem.  We have 10
projects, let's intro them.  5 minutes per project.  (Grant)

10:50 - 11:15  BREAK

11:15 - 12:05 Session 2: Lucene Basics and New Features (Michael Busch)

12:05 - 13:30 LUNCH

13:30 - 14:20 Keynote Session

14:30 - 15:20 Session 3: Solr out of the Box (Hoss)

15:20 - 16:00 BREAK

16:00 - 16:50 Session 4:  Intro to Nutch (Andrzej? or other Nutch
committer?)

17:00 - 17:50 Session 5: Lucene and Solr Performance Tuning (Yonik or
Mark Miller)

Day 2:
10:00 - 10:50 Session 1: Implementing an Information Retrieval
Framework for an Organizational Repository - Sithu D Sudarsan

10:50 - 11:15  BREAK

11:15 - 12:05 Session 2: Modeling "nature" for fun and profit: How
Mahout can help make more out of your data (Isabel Drost or other
Mahout committer)

12:05 - 13:30 LUNCH

13:30 - 14:20 Keynote Session

14:30 - 15:20 Session 3:   MIME Magic w/ Apache Tika (Jukka)

15:20 - 16:00 BREAK

16:00 - 16:50 Session 4: Building Intelligent Search Applications
using the Lucene Ecosystem (Ted Dunning)

17:00 - 17:50 Session 5:  Realtime Search - (Jason Rutherglen)

Meetup:

-. Introduction and Icebreaker
-. Solr Flair: User interfaces powered by Apache Solr (30 mins) - Erik
Hatcher
-. Intro to Droids (30 mins) - Thorsten
-. Geo-spatial search with Lucene and Solr (Ryan?)  (30 mins)
-. Intro to Katta (Stefan?) (30 mins)
-. Lightning Talks  (5 minutes a piece, first come, first served)
     - Open Relevance
     - Lucene Ports
     - Others
-. Social