lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <>
Subject Re: Using Lucene to index OSM nodes (400M latitude/longitude points)
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:06:56 GMT
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Kelly Jones <>wrote:

> Can Lucene index the (OSM) node db (400M
> latitude/longitude pairs), and then find the 20 nodes closest to a
> given latitude/longitude?

Probably.  (isn't that definitive!)

 % Can Lucene index numerical data and understand that 16 is close to
>  15, but far away from 160000?

As of the recent versions, yes.

> % Is Lucene reasonably fast indexing 400M floating point pairs?

Should be.  I have no experience with this kind of indexing.  You will need
a pretty good sized amount of memory or use a sharding system like katta.

> % After Lucene creates the 400M index, can it return search results
>  reasonably fast?

With the right level of parallelism, absolutely.

> % Is there a guide/tutorial that shows how to use Lucene to index
>  numerical data (I'm using Plucene, but I'll settle for any sort of
>  guide)?

Not really.  Efficient numerical search is relatively new in Lucene:

See the slide shows on Michael Busch's linked-in profile:

Also, see here:

Ted Dunning, CTO

111 West Evelyn Ave. Ste. 202
Sunnyvale, CA 94086