lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Open Relevance Project?
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 20:01:02 GMT
I'd love to see a resource like this (it's high time!), and I'll try
to help when/where I can, starting with some initial
comments/questions:

I think it's actually quite a challenge to do well.  EG it's easy to
make a corpus that's too easy because it's highly diverse (and thus
most search engines have no trouble pulling back relevant results).
Instead, I think the content set should be well & tightly scoped to a
certain topic, and not necessarily that large (ie we don't need a huge
number of documents).  It would help if that scoping is towards
content that many people find "of interest" so we get "accurate"
judgements by as wide an audience as possible.

EG how about coverage of the 2009 H1N1 outbreak (that's licensed
appropriately)?  Or... the 2008 US presidential election?  Or...
research on Leukemia (but I fear such content is not typically
licensed appropriately, nor will it have wide interest).

What does "using Nutch to crawl Creative Commons" actually mean?  Can
I browse the content that's being crawled?

Also, to help us build up the relevance judgements, I think we should
build a basic custom app for collecting queries as well as annotating
them.  I should be able to go to that page and run my own queries,
which are collected.  Then, I should be able to browse previously
collected queries, click on them, and add my own judgement.  The site
should try to offer up queries that are "in need" of judgements.  It
should run the search and let me step through the results, marking
those that are relevant; but we would then bias the results to that
search engine; maybe under the hood we rotate through search engines
each time?

Do we have anyone involved who's built similar corpora before?  Or has
anyone read papers on how prior corpora were designed/created?

Mike