lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open Relevance Infrastucture Request
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 13:50:11 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

>>  Even so, people with really big pipes may be interested in larger
>> collections.  Typically, when others have done this kind of thing,
>> they actually send out hard drives containing the data.  We are not
>> proposing that.
>>

>> Another option is to ask the board for funding for us to use Amazon.
>> I don't particularly like this approach b/c it is not obvious to me
>> how one would cap the cost.
You can cap the cost by limiting how much data you store right? You can
use RequesterPayBuckets
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/index.html?RequesterPaysBuckets.html
to move the cost onto the users who want the data. Per user, it would
still be fairly cheap. You get the added bonus of other S3 services,
like being able to send a device back and forth to import/export on
site. You would just pay for storage and transferring the data in - both
cap-able by limiting the amount of data you put in it.

Not a recommendation or anything (its more convenient to not charge the
downloaders), but I think you could technically cap the costs associated
with putting it on S3.

--
- Mark