lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open Relevance Project?
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 03:00:08 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Some interesting discussion at
> http://thenoisychannel.com/2009/05/18/copying-trec-is-the-wrong-track-for-the-enterprise/

That was an interesting read. I think a lot of the argument misses the
point. It doesn't seem to me that the main benefit or intent comes from
'bake offs' with other search engines ("Selling search applications to
enterprises isn't, in my experience, about winning relevance
bake-offs.") - the main benefit is allowing us to measure changes and
improvements to Lucene's relevancy calculations and to make judgments
about how Lucene currently performs. I see it easily as important as the
Lucene benchmark contrib. Its not going to be a secret sauce, just like
the benchmarker has been no secret sauce - but its going to make it
easier to reliably improve Lucene in the future.

- Mark

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com