lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: segment ? new segment after a commit
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:36:47 GMT
Here is a link to a talk that Doug gave describing the basics of the
indexing process.  It should answer your questions.

http://lucene.sourceforge.net/talks/pisa/

The basic answer is that adding documents increases the size of the smaller
files until they get big enough to merge and then when the merged result
gets bigger, it gets merged to the next file.

If you add a small number of new documents, measured as a fraction of all
documents, then only a few files will change.  If you had many documents,
then many files will change.