lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: replication caching high query and lot of update
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:26:50 GMT
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:29 AM, sunnyfr <johanna.34@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just another question how many % of memory would you give to the jvm.
> I've 8G of ram (8cpu) and my index data is 11G. what would you reckon as
> xmx?

This is really Solr specific stuff and should be on solr-user.

You want to give the JVM the least amount of memory such that
everything still works, and allowing for a little index growth.  What
that amount is will depend a lot on which fields you sort on , which
fields you facet on, all your caches, etc.  The reason you want to
minimize the amount of JVM memory is so that the OS can cache
important parts of the index with the remaining free RAM.

Large heap sizes also lead to long GC pauses.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com