lucene-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@101tec.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Katta 0.5 released
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:34:52 GMT
Hi Steve,

I dont like sitting a build system, so I like convention over
configuration. Maven sounds good for that, but after many years being
a maven fan I just could not understand why essential plugins are
still so buggy and why I have to spend so much energy when I want to
customize something.  Obviously maven describes the project, it is not
a build script. Also I like dependency management.
Gradle will be a great build tool. It has conventions over
configuration it uses java syntax (groovy) to write the build scrip,
has dependency management etc. It is actually really cool but we
adapted it too early.
It had bugs that blocked our productivity.
Now we are back at ant and use ivy for dependency management. Ivy isnt
great documented but works pretty solid for us. Ant is solid though I
dont like to writing scripts in a declarative language - xml and also
ants multi projects build capabilities aren't the greatest. Anyhow we
decided for ant since it is a solid working horse.

Stefan

Hadoop training and consulting
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
http://www.101tec.com