lucene-general mailing list archives

From Jenny Brown <skyw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: operator precedence and confusing result
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:55:04 GMT
Ok, after Mike Klaas's explanation of how it's translated, and a few
minutes of really studying your examples, this makes sense to me now.
And the number of results makes sense.  Now my challenge is how to
explain this to my users - oi, what a difference, and subtleties.

Thanks for the help.  I do have one remaining question.  How do
proximity searches fit into this?
I often have users performing a search like:

"music arts"~10 OR "band festival" OR "rock concert"

and then reporting back to me that they'll see results containing just
the word band, or just the word concert, that don't match an entire
phrase.  Am I misunderstanding phrase search here?  Is the proximity
search changing the behavior of the whole query?

Jenny Brown