lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: get distinct values of one field from query
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:36:22 GMT

: In my project I have a query that can possibly return several millions of
: documents.
: >From these documents I always want the unique values from a certain field.
: For the sake of clarity we can take for example the "id" field.

what you are describing sounds similar to the general concept of "faceted
searching" also frequently discussed on teh mailing lists under the
question of "category counts" ... in your specific case however it seems
you don't care about the "counts" just the "categories" (ie: the distinct
set of values for a field across all matched documents)

given those search terms, i'm guessing you'll find more then enough
information on the basic approaches that can be taken to tackle a faceting
problem with any varient of Lucene.

-Hoss