lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: operator precedence and confusing result
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:21:01 GMT

: Yes, but until that work is done (and it probably belongs in a separate
: queryparser module, imo), we're left with the current situation, which doesn't
: work but seductively gives the appearance of working.
:
: Anyway, the point seems moot given the volumous silence my suggestion has
: incited.

In general i agree with you Mike: the world would be a lot simpler if we
removed the AND/NOT/OR keywords from the query parser ... but the hitch is
that when used in a particular way (i don't want to say "correctly"
because that's a subjective evaluation, so instead i'll say
"unambiguously") they can be extremely effective for people.

   ((A AND B) OR (C AND D)) AND X

...works the way *everyone* would exepect it to work, and is much simpler
for some people to udnerstand then...

Personally: I'd be very happy if there were a lot more QueryParsers, and
we had one that supported the +/- syntax and a seperate one that supported
the AND/OR/NOT syntax ...  in fact: i think there's a nice long thread
(that i really need to find time to read) on java-dev about how the IBM
folks may have solved that problem for everyone.

-Hoss