lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:25:35 GMT

: Another analysis to consider: If Marvin came to us today and pitched Lucy,
: would we accept it as a single-committer subproject?  If not, then we should
: mothball now.  If so, then we can give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit
: longer.

speaking for myself: I would be -1 for any new subproject that didn't have
*more* then 3 people interested in being initial committers ... there's
always some level of attrition, and a project really needs at least 3
people actively involved to get anywhere.

I'm fine with Doug's proposal to wait a while, but as other people have
expressed: i'm more concerend with seeing Lucy build up a community of
people interested in maintaining the code then i am with seeing code get
committed.  Even if thousands of lines of production quality code gets
committed in the next 6 months that doesn't mean Lucy will have a
community to support/improve that code moving forward beyond that.

-Hoss