lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:21:29 GMT

Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> The conversations that we had in JIRA and on java-dev were
> beneficial to both
> Lucene and Lucy; should I have posted to the Lucy dev list instead
> simply to
> demonstrate activity, which would have been less useful to Mike, to
> me, to
> Lucy, and to Lucene?  To my mind, the Lucene community is also part
> of the
> Lucy community.

This is a good point... it is unfortunate that the large healthy
community of java-user/dev indeed does tend to draw discussions away
from its "offshots".  Much like most acorns dropping from a large
healthy oak tree will fail to grow because they get no sun.

EG you recently posted about Matcher, to lucy-dev.  You then posted to
java-dev, pointing to that post (which was a great idea).  I pondered
whether to respond via java-dev or lucy-dev.  I knew java-dev would
get more discussion, but I also really, really want Lucy to grow &
succeed, so I responded on lucy-dev.  But then the discussion stopped.

I do think these discussions (and it's not just LUCENE-1483, there
were a number of other issues & just plain discussions on java-dev) do
indeed "count" as good Lucy activity.

Mike