lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 11:59:57 GMT
Hi All,

It is fairly apparent to me that the Lucy project is not making any
progress community-wise or code-wise.  Neither Marvin, Dave or Doug
are active at all on it, and that accounts for all three committers.
There has been very little mailing list traffic, and when there is, it
seems to be of the nature of "is Lucy alive?"   Furthermore, I have my
doubts about the development process being employed, which seems to be
the notion that KinoSearch is going to be donated by Marvin at some
point in the future [1], which would only work if it were to go
through the Software Grant or Incubation process (which I would be
happy to support.), or at least that is how I understand the process
to be when code is developed outside of the ASF.  Even if KS were the
plan, in looking at KS, it seems there is not much community activity
there, either.

On the flip side, one might ask what's the harm in letting it stand as
is?  Admittedly, not much, other than I think it confuses people b/c
they think there is a C port of Lucene and then they go and find it is
dead.

Therefore, it is with some hesitation that I suggest we mothball
Lucy.  Mostly, I hesitate, because I hate to see any project be
archived on the hope that someone will come in and pick it up.
However, I just don't see that happening.  If Marvin wishes to
resurrect it, he can donate KS (or whatever core part of it is Lucy)
and go through incubation and prove there is a community and then we
can turn it back on.

-Grant

[1] http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/152a1a9d00b7d08a/is_there_anybody_here