lucene-general mailing list archives

From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 06:34:44 GMT
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> What will happen then? KinoSearch is not Lucy, so I'm not sure how
> this is relevant. Are you then planning to start working on Lucy, or
> to contribute some of the existing KinoSearch code into Lucy?

I don't know the exact distinction, but to a reasonable approximation
KinoSearch can be viewed as the Perl bindings on top of the alpha
version of Lucy.  The vast majority of the work is done in the C
portion of the code, and my understanding is that once this separation
is complete and the API is more final, the C codebase will be renamed
Lucy.  Marvin is thus essentially employed full time to work on Lucy.

> Are there other people who are planning to start working on Lucy?

I'm currently distracted with other projects, but I'm very interested
in the long-term development of Lucy.  I've been corresponding with
Marvin for the past couple years, and am glad to see the project
gradually moving in the direction I want it to go: a light, fast,
flexible framework that can be used as the base for all variety of
search applications.   I'm hoping to contribute more actively in the
future.

Nathan Kurz
nate@verse.com