lucene-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Search on lucene.apache.org
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:42:27 GMT
Hi,

As discussed at the ApacheCon, we're the search experts at Apache but
still most of our web sites at lucene.apache.org use a Google search
box. And the Google search isn't even that powerful, as it doesn't
cover our mailing lists, wikis, issue trackers, etc. Let's fix that
using our own search technology!

Lucid Imagination already implemented a search at
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/, though that implementation
also contains stuff from their web site. Perhaps we could ask them to
set up a version that only returns stuff from apache.org.

Would people be worried about the Lucid branding on search result
pages? I don't think that's too much of a problem as the current
search results are already Google-branded. Anyway, if someone feels
this is a problem (and has the time and energy to fix it), we could
also ask for an infra zone where a similar ASF-hosted search service
could be set up. Or perhaps Lucid would be willing to give us an
ASF-branded version of the search with just a "search results brought
to you by Lucid Imagination" note attached?

PS. I can think of a number of Apache projects who'd love a similar setup.

BR,

Jukka Zitting