lucene-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:17:46 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Nathan Kurz <nate@verse.com> wrote:
> I don't know the exact distinction, but to a reasonable approximation
> KinoSearch can be viewed as the Perl bindings on top of the alpha
> version of Lucy.

That's not Lucy code until it's being developed in Lucy. And without
Lucy code it's pretty pointless to have a Lucy project.

> The vast majority of the work is done in the C portion of the code,
> and my understanding is that once this separation is complete and
> the API is more final, the C codebase will be renamed Lucy.

Any larger externally developed codebase can only be imported to
Apache through incubation or a software grant, and the software grant
can only be used if there exists an active community that wants to
take over the development of that code. The latter is not true (there
is no active community) at the moment in Lucy, so at this point any
code from KinoSearch would need to go through full incubation. This is
which is why I suggested the idea of KinoSearch being brought to the
Incubator.

BR,

Jukka Zitting