lucene-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:06:45 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Therefore, it is with some hesitation that I suggest we mothball Lucy.

When committers are inactive for a year, we ask them if they'd like to
be made emeritus.  Usually they either don't respond or they say yes.
If they say "no" we give them the benefit of the doubt for a while
longer.  A similar process is followed for Apache members who've been
inactive.  Inactivity should not be punished: we're all volunteers.

If there's a decent chance that Lucy will become active soon then we
don't want to further burden that.  Marvin has argued that there's a
strong chance Lucy will become active soon.  I'm inclined to give him
the benefit of the doubt for another six months or so before we do
anything that would be nontrivial to reverse.

So if "mothballing" would be easy to reverse, it might be okay.  We
could just, e.g., change the website to say, "inactive", remove the
website from the TLP's website and remove commit privileges, but not
remove accounts, mailing lists or JIRA instances.  Then reversal would
take about 10 minutes of the PMC chair's time.  Marvin or others could
petition this list to have it reversed.

But I'd also be fine with putting the project on notice for a few
months, with the understanding that if activity doesn't pick up soon, it
will be mothballed, as outlined above.  Then, after mothballing, if
nothing happens for a while longer, we remove it altogether.  At each
transition we should invite discussion.  I don't see much point in
rushing this.

This path does risk dragging out the pain, so we shouldn't go down it
too lightly.  Marvin, do you expect you'll be actively committing code
to Lucy over the next six months?  If so, I think we should give him
that, if not, we should mothball now as outlined above.

Another analysis to consider: If Marvin came to us today and pitched
Lucy, would we accept it as a single-committer subproject?  If not, then
we should mothball now.  If so, then we can give him the benefit of the
doubt for a bit longer.

Note that, if we give notice now, and nothing happens in six months,
that's likely to considerably reduce our patience.

P.S. I hereby resign as a Lucy committer.

View raw message