lucene-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Archive Lucy
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:13:44 GMT
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 03:06:45PM -0700, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Marvin, do you expect you'll be actively committing code
> to Lucy over the next six months?

Yes.  I can commit Boilerplater and its support classes.

The general design of Boilerplater was hashed out by myself and Dave Balmain.
All of the code is new, and was written specifically for Lucy.

To the extent that Boilerplater extends or diverges from what Balmain and I
designed, I can post rationales to lucy-dev or to JIRA.

Four of the support classes are nothing controversial: Obj, CharBuf (a Unicode
string buffer class), Hash and VArray are all basic CompSci projects.

VTable's design is intimately tied to Boilerplater.  I would have preferred
that Boilerplater and VTable undergo review by someone of Balmain's level of
expertise prior to committing, but that's not absolutely essential.  If it
were itself a public API, then I think review would be more important;
however, it's more of an implementation that's used to generate header code
that adheres to a pre-existing design.  It can be changed later if weaknesses
are discovered.

Next up after that would presumably be the contents of Lucy::Store.

Marvin Humphrey