lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Claudia Santos" <claudia.cm.san...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene retrieval model
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:55:58 GMT
Hello,

Thnks for the tip.
The idea of extended boolean model is that a weight between 0 and 1 would be
calculated for all search results that contains at least one of the terms.
The extended model evaluates documents with only one of the terms with a
smaller value than one that contains both. A NOT B would have value 0.
 regards,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven A Rowe" <sarowe@syr.edu>
To: <general@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 8:35 PM
Subject: RE: Lucene retrieval model

Hi csantos,

Very few people are subscribed to the general@lucene.apache.org mailing
list - you'll get much better response if you use the java-user@l.a.o list
instead.

On 12/29/2008 at 9:07 AM, csantos wrote:
> I would like to know more about Lucene's retrieval model,
> more specifically about the boolean model part, is that a
> standard model (just documents that match the boolean
> expression) or an extended model (include in the search
> result all Documents which correspond to the given
> conditions, regardless of the boolean connectors - AND,
> OR, NOT) ?

I'm not familiar with your use of the terms "standard model" and "extended
model", so take my response here with a grain of salt.

There is no way I know of to include documents in the search results that
violate the constraints represented by the connectors you use.  But if
you're interested in getting all documents that match a query, can't you
simply use all OR connectors?

Out of curiosity, how useful would it be for the query "A NOT B" to return
documents that match "B"?

Steve