lucene-general mailing list archives

From squaro <>
Subject Spatial Search using Lucene and a Database
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:12:42 GMT

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Lucene and I was wondering how to use it to search full-text
filtering by spatial constraints.

For example I have one million of restaurant and I want to found those which
match "pancake chocolate" and are located in a certain range of latitude and
longitude ( e.g. 4<lat<4.4 and 5.5<lng<5.7 )

I've seen a whitepaper called "locallucene" :

Unfortunatly this paper doesn't use MySQL spatial extension for the

Because I think MySql or Postgree with spatial extension are much faster to
find ALL the restaurant located in a given range of latitude and longitude.

But I also think they are not good as lucene to search for full-text query.

So my idea is to first use a database with spatial extension to find all
restaurant ids in a given range of latitude and longitude.
Then I use this set of ids to filter ( using a FilterQuery ) "pancake
chocolate" search in Lucene.

According to you mixing database and Lucene for spatial search with full
text is a good approch ?

Thanx for all your answers

Best Regards,

Sent from the Lucene - General mailing list archive at

View raw message